About Us
Town of Mount Croghan

Top of Parchment
About Us

People who travel through our little community see a crossing with a caution light, a half-dozen buildings (some empty), and go on their way unaware of its history. 

During the first half of the twentieth century, Mt. Croghan was a thriving hub in a farming community populated by families who took great pride in their  surroundings.  More than 20 businesses were operating during those early years. A livery stable where livestock auctions were held on a regular basis was next door to a blacksmith shop.  Two cotton gins, a concrete block factory, an axe-handle factory and a corn mill all contributed to the local economy.

A successful bank, post office, barber shop, several full-service gas stations, cabinet shop, TV repair shop, automobile repair shop, drug store, doctor’s office, department store, general store, furniture store, and at least 4 grocery stores operated during this time frame.  A used -car lot and an ABC store once operated next door to each other which prompted one local sage to comment on the convenience of “drinking and driving”.

Mt. Croghan, in her early years, was also a hub for cultural and social activity most of which was centered around the school (originally referred to as Mt. Croghan Graded School).  Fine arts and sports activities were emphasized.  The school was a leader in the county in academic areas - (an article in 1937 featured a headline about an educational contest held in Chesterfield - the headline read “Mt Croghan School takes majority of winners”).

The school prospered.  Early in its history a school improvement committee was formed (the fore-runner of PTO).  A full orchestra and brass band were part of the curriculum.  Drama and comedy presentations, debates, chapel programs, field trips and sports were added to academic studies which were taken very seriously.  Students were graded on conduct.

The 1920’s was a particularly active time in the little town.  It was a partying community.  News reports mentioned card parties, box suppers, church socials, sporting events,  school plays and, sometimes gathering at a place simply to listen to the radio.  A favorite refreshment served at many functions was congealed salad.  At one particular gathering held at the “teacherage” (a residence provided for teachers),  admission was charged.  Each person paid a penny for each inch of waist measurement.

1925 saw the town receive electricity complete with street lights.  They were small ruffled shade fixtures with a single incandescent bulb.  The new school auditorium was dedicated that same year (featuring velvet stage curtains, the finest in the county).  Moving pictures were shown in the auditorium each Friday night.

Many of these facts (and others) are chronicled in the museum scrapbooks.  Anyone interested is invited to visit the Mt. Croghan museum and peruse the scrapbooks.


Bottom of Parchment